I committed a fix for 64-bit compile and some fixes to support wxWidgets 2.9.0.
There was one compile error in serialize.h with min(sizeof()) that I fixed for 64-bit. The rest of the 64-bit compile errors I was getting were in wxWidgets 2.8.9, so I started working on supporting wxWidgets 2.9.0.
wxWidgets 2.9.0 is UTF-8. We've been using the ANSI version of wxWidgets 2.8.9 in anticipation of wxWidgets UTF-8 support.
I compiled and ran on 64-bit Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic.
I think the only bug left is where the status number is mashed up. I'm not sure why, I have to suspect it's a UTF-8 thing, but no idea how that could happen. Haven't looked into it.
build-unix.txt is updated and two makefiles on SVN:
Unfortunately there's still no debian package for either version of wxWidgets we use. They only have the wchar ("unicode") version of wxWidgets 2.8, which is a disaster because wchar wxString doesn't convert to std::string. We use either ANSI wxWidgets 2.8, or wxWidgets 2.9. So you still have to get it and build it yourself.