BitcoinTalk

Assertion Failure - Ubuntu Lucid

Assertion Failure - Ubuntu Lucid

I'm running Ubuntu Lucid (32 bit), all packages up to date.  I had run bitcoin 0.2 previously, and just downloaded 0.3.  I ran bitcoind and I got:

bitcoin: main.cpp:823: unsigned int GetNextWorkRequired(const CBlockIndex*): Assertion `pindexFirst' failed.
Aborted

So I ran the bitcoin GUI, and it came up and showed my existing coins, but quickly gave me the same error and died.  Then I went back and ran the 0.2 GUI again and I get:

bitcoin: main.cpp:743: unsigned int GetNextWorkRequired(const CBlockIndex*): Assertion `pindexFirst' failed.
Aborted

Has my db got corrupted?  Do I have a broken dependancy?

I tried to build 0.3 from source but got many errors, probably missing some *-dev packages.  Will look at that more later.

Re: Assertion Failure - Ubuntu Lucid

That's the first time I've seen this error.

How many blocks do you have? (in the status bar)

You should move your blk*.dat files (in ~/.bitcoin) to another directory and let it start over downloading the block chain again.  If you don't mind, could you keep the old blk*.dat files for a little while in case I need to look at them?

I have 58464 blocks... haven't run the software in awhile

Moved the block files... it's working through them all again.  My coins disappeared, but I assume they'll come back when it's up to current?

My coins disappeared, but I assume they'll come back when it's up to current?
Right, they'll re-appear when it's finished downloading all the blocks.