BitcoinTalk

Network Size

Network Size

Is there any way to query the current size of the network, say, in connected clients, actively generating clients, FLOPS, or preferably, all three?  I see that my client is connected, and has been connected, to 15 clients for the past four days....yet somehow I doubt there are only 15 people generating coins.  I'm looking for this in the context of scalability assessments.

Re: Network Size

How is it that you get more than 15, all of my clients exactly level out at 15 and never go higher like there is some hard limit imposed.  Did you have to tweak the source to make that happen?

-Buck

15 connections was the maximum of 0.2 without port forwarding.
but it doesn't matter how much connections you have, 1 is enough, all the others are redundant.

I am aware that 1 is plenty for proper functioning, but more connections helps prevent the network from becoming segmented.  I was just wondering if there was a limit because I am always at 15 which seemed odd to me.

Anyway in regards to the question I think the protocol itself should support some kind of mechanism like this as it is good to know.  As far as I understand it the IRC server is more of a temporary thing until a more permanent solution is implemented.  This will probably have to happen sooner, rather than later, since the growth of the system will soon overwhelm the IRC server.  It is also somewhat of a single point of failure, even though the clients have other ways of finding eachother losing the IRC server could end up fragmenting the network causing several "islands" of interconnected nodes.  If this islanding persisted for long enough transactions could be lost.

-Buck

Version 0.3 was supposed to reduce the number of outgoing connections on non-port forwarded clients from 15 to 8, but I don't think it really happened. I'm not positive if this is the case. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have v3 w/ no forwarding and never get more than 8.

Version 0.3 was supposed to reduce the number of outgoing connections on non-port forwarded clients from 15 to 8, but I don't think it really happened. I'm not positive if this is the case. Correct me if I'm wrong.
In 0.3.0, the change to 8 only ended up in the Windows version, the other versions still had 15.

Please upgrade to 0.3.2, it's available now.