BitcoinTalk

For a website taking payments with bitcoins, better: IP or bitcoin addresses?

For a website taking payments with bitcoins, better: IP or bitcoin addresses?

For a website taking payments with bitcoins, which is better: taking payments through IP solely or using tons of bitcoin addresses that you have to reuse and reuse?

And why?

Re: For a website taking payments with bitcoins, better: IP or bitcoin addresses?

Right now, Bitcoin Addresses are the only option if you want automation.  If you're only taking donations, or only handling manual transactions, IP Addresses might be better suited.  That way they can send you comments or messages about their account info.

Re: For a website taking payments with bitcoins, better: IP or bitcoin addresses?

Bitcoin addresses also provide better anonymity. In my opinion they are ideal. Otherwise it's necessary to use tor or the like also to guarantee anonymity.

Bitcoin addresses also provide better anonymity. In my opinion they are ideal. Otherwise it's necessary to use tor or the like also to guarantee anonymity.

Isn't that "unsafe"?
Say I am an exit node listening for bitcoin transactions and grab them?
Or is everything public/private key encrypted?[1]

[1]Which is my guess.

Actually no, transfering coins via IP address isn't encrypted. When you transfer coins to an IP, the recipient creates a new address just for that transaction and tells you to transfer coins to that address. A malicious exit node could sniff all Bitcoin traffic and intercept those transactions easily.

So for everyone: DO NOT USE IP ADDRESSES AS DESTINATIONS, ALWAYS USE BITCOIN ADDRESSES.

I suggest we disable IP transactions while the user uses a Proxy!
Just to be on the safe side.

I suggest we disable IP transactions while the user uses a Proxy!
Just to be on the safe side.
That's a good idea.  At the very least a warning dialog explaining that it'll connect to the IP and send the information cleartext, giving the chance to cancel.