BitcoinTalk

Won't let me send coins because it requires a transaction fee?

Anonymous#1

adg

adg

Re: Won't let me send coins because it requires a transaction fee?

If you send your entire balance, then you won't have enough left to pay any fee. You could send 49.99.

I don't know why that's happening. There shouldn't be a fee for any non-combined transaction.

0.3.12 contains some changes to transaction fees. Are you using that?

Rounding error? Have you received bitcoins from the faucet, then paid 0.0495 btc to someone. Ever done anything in the 3rd decimal or beyond? I have 0.01 at TAABL that I can't withdraw due to rounding error. Still, +50.00 is +50.00, and should be able to withdraw that.

Fresh blocks take something like 100 blocks to confirm. I assume you waited.

What version is the one where this happened?  Release build, or built it yourself?  Which operating system? 

Were you sending by IP or by Bitcoin Address?

When you sent 49.99, did it prompt you to pay a 0.01 fee?

There was a change in GetMinFee, but I can't see how it would cause this.  It only starts to apply when a block gets huge.

The reason for the difference in block number is the number displayed was reduced by 1 in 0.3.11 because it made more sense that way.

I think I know what happened.  Doubleclick on the generated transaction.  It probably has a sub-0.01 transaction fee in it.

Someone has been paying a 0.00000010 transaction fee.  I don't think you can even set that with -paytxfee, I think you'd have to modify the code to do it.  Your generated block is worth 50.00000010, so when you try to send the whole thing you have 0.00000010 left over for the change, which triggers the dust spam 0.01 fee.

It would normally be harmless except in this corner case.  I should add a special case to CreateTransaction to handle this.

I'm really puzzled with all this. I also generated a block and transferred it out on the spot. Looking at the transaction:

"address" : "1LCSXSx8sjcZKHFXbyasBsuEdJtBVRaco7",
        "label" : "",
        "txid" : "1249190d1a13b03b51c27ded2e8441d446a8ae6ef90f90db31a8267da0845685",
        "txtime" : 1283997623,
        "category" : "debit",
        "amount" : 50.01000000,
        "confirmations" : 228
    },

it seems I paid the fee too. Why would that be? A block that had too many tx, the value coming from multiple small value purses (but the client should see one purse that satisfies the whole transaction, right?) or what else?

So I lost a penny in it. My question then, that transaction fee, then goes to the next block? Or the one before the one I generated?

You didn't pay a transaction fee. You have .01000010 in your balance; you just can't spend it. The network would accept it if you sent the entire 0.01000010 to another address (you can't break it apart), but the Bitcoin interface doesn't support such high precision.

Since fees apply to transactions less than 0.01, adding a transaction fee should be at least 0.01 right?

That's not network-enforced. Transaction fees are not "outs", so they're not subject to the "dust spam" restriction.

it seems I paid the fee too. Why would that be? A block that had too many tx, the value coming from multiple small value purses (but the client should see one purse that satisfies the whole transaction, right?) or what else?

You received a fee of 0.01. You didn't pay one.

The fix is in SVN rev 151.

You will be able to send your stuck 0.01 (actually 0.01000010) when you next upgrade.