BitcoinTalk

Bitcoin in Ubuntu 10.04

Bitcoin in Ubuntu 10.04

Bitcoin looks ugly in Ubuntu's new default theme. It seems that some, but not all of the theme settings are being picked up. The unselected file menu should have light text with a dark background, but it incorrectly has light text with a light background. They're similar enough that it's unreadable on my display. It should be fixed before the next stable release.

Re: Bitcoin in Ubuntu 10.04

Can you upload a screenshot? It'd help out great.

I didn't feel like editing images, so I just took a few partial screenshots.

Edit: I just added a screenshot of the file menu in gcalctool as an example of how the menu should be displayed.

I don't see any problems here, running 10.04 myself now!

The problem is with the default theme. You're screen shot is not the default theme.

I'm new, but it works fine here. It's version 0.2 though.

http://i45.tinypic.com/1z5knb8.jpg

I think the default theme in 10.04 makes everything look ugly.  And why are mini/maxi/close on the left side and not the right?  That's really annoying.

I don't thinks it looks ugly.
You can change the buttons back to the right side if you wish, just google for it. Smiley

Bitcoin looks ugly in Ubuntu's new default theme. It seems that some, but not all of the theme settings are being picked up. The unselected file menu should have light text with a dark background, but it incorrectly has light text with a light background. They're similar enough that it's unreadable on my display. It should be fixed before the next stable release.
This is now fixed in the SVN version.
1) Menu bar default color.
2) Balance bar not a different color.
3) Background behind bitcoin address and balance now the same color as toolbar.

I checked all the standard themes and it seems reasonable with all of them.

Ubuntu minimize,maximize,close buttons to the right:
gconf-editor
apps->metacity->general
button_layout=menu:minimize,maximize,close

They've got it awfully buried considering 9 out of 10 users are used to having it on the right.

Satoshi, that definitely made it look better for me, but now Bitcoin won't minimize to tray in Ubuntu 10.04. The proper check box is checked, but it just minimizes to my taskbar like always.

On Ubuntu 10.04 it wouldn't remove the taskbar button cleanly, so I made it leave it there.

But now that you mention it, it's probably better to have the feature, even if it's messy, than not to have it, though it may confuse a few people when the taskbar button temporarily stays around but disappears if you click on it.

Updated SVN.

Thanks for testing.

Yeah, r89 works as expected for me. It doesn't seem to have any problems creating or removing icons, but I'm using XFCE, so that might be the difference.

In addition, there's a difference between standard behaviour for tray icons in Windows and Linux. In most Linux apps, clicking the tray button while the app's window is open will cause it to close again. I personally like that better than the Windows default, where a single click does nothing once the main window is displayed. Is there any chance that feature might get added to the Linux version?

It's too late now for feature changes to 0.3, but I'll add that to the post-0.3 to do list.  I never would have noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out.