BitcoinTalk

Website and software translations

Website and software translations

Can I help to translate the official homepage ( and main others ) into italian language?
Is there a way to make it easy for many other random people that want to do the same?

sirius-m: changed topic

Re: Homepage language

Can I help to translate the official homepage ( and main others ) into italian language?
Is there a way to make it easy for many other random people that want to do the same?

Translations are very welcome! Translations show that there's a big community behind a project, and are of course helpful to those who don't speak English. You can post your translation in this thread as an attached txt-file. Please use the same html tags (h1, h2, h3, ul, li, strong, em, img, a) as in the English page. You can translate the front page and the FAQ, or just the front page if the FAQ feels too long. Trade page changes too often to be translated, and contact info is unnecessary for people who don't speak English.

German, Spanish, Chinese and Russian translations would be especially helpful, as they're big language areas that have a lot of people who don't speak English. Of course other languages are good to have too.

Attached: the English pages with html tags, to be used as a template for translation. Download notepad++ if you want syntax highlighting Smiley

Edit 6.1.2011: You can add and update translations at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin.org_translations.

Update 9.8.2013: Bitcoin.org translations: https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/bitcoinorg/

that reminds me of my intention to do a german translation ^^

that reminds me of my intention to do a german translation ^^

Eh, me too... this post finally got me started, actually. I'm using Google's Translation Toolkit, so if you want in on the fun, PM me with your Google account name, and I'll invite you to contribute to or comment on the translation.

Re: Website translations

Italian homepage Smiley
Code:
removed by sirius-m, sorry :P

Italian homepage Smiley

Sorry, I ninja-edited my post while you were translating. Realized that an attachment is better than a long code block that makes the thread difficult to read (I'll remove it from your post).

Thanks for your translation, I'll add it!

Ok, I'll translate FAQ also for sure Wink

Even though I've started using Google's Tools now, it would probably be a good idea to put all of this under version control. That'd also make it easier to see when the original page changes and you need to update the translation. I especially like how http://whygitisbetterthanx.com/ does it -- with one branch per language in a git repository (see bottom of page).

Edit: Bitcoin front page is done. Would be good if someone else could proof-read it though. SmokeTooMuch?

In my opinion your translation is fine, DataWraith.

Just two things:
1. I think the "f" in Sourceforge should be uppercase. At least that`s what wikipedia tells me.
Abhängig davon, wieviel CPU-Zeit im Leerlauf Sie beitragen können, kann es einige Tage dauern bis die ersten Münzen erzeugt werden &endash; haben Sie also bitte etwas Geduld.
It sounds better when you write it like this:
Abhängig davon, wieviel CPU-Zeit Sie im Leerlauf beitragen können, kann es einige Tage dauern bis die ersten Münzen erzeugt werden - haben Sie also bitte etwas Geduld.
(the &endash; doesn`t get resolved correctly, you better check that again or replace it with a normal comma)

Thanks for the German translation.

My pleasure. Smiley

I've fixed the problems SmokeTooMuch mentioned (thanks!) in the attached version. I also should have the FAQ translated soonish (first draft is done).

We also might want to update the numbers. Even though the FAQ explicitly states that it dates back to October 2009, claiming 500 generated Bitcoins per day as achievable amount might give rise to disappointment.

Does anyone want to translate the Bitcoin client itself?  It would be great to have at least one other language in the 0.3 release.

All you have to do is get poedit and translate the po file I'm attaching to this post.  It's less than 750 words.

Updated bitcoin.po attachment for 0.3.1

I'm translating this into Dutch myself.
Don't blame my grammar or anything if I screw up! Tongue

I'm done with the FAQ, it's attached to this post. I've also attached the front_page again, because the "Advantages:" before the list of bullet points needed to be in its own paragraph (I assume from the structure of the files that three blank lines serve as paragraph-break in whatever  CMS is used for the homepage).

I'll also take a look at the .po-file, but it'll probably take a few days.

Here there is the italian translation of the software.
There can be some mistakes, but it's just ok for the first version Smiley
I hope that someone will come to do something better.

Hurray!  We have our first language.  I uploaded it to SVN to go in with the 0.3 release.

Here is the almost complete (93%) translation into Dutch.
It might contain some errors though.

I can has credit now? Grin

I uploaded the 93% complete Dutch translation to SVN.  Thanks!

Here's the German translation for the client.

It may require some modification, because, on average, German sentences are a third longer than English ones and thus may not fit the available space. Also, I couldn't test the access keys (e.g. E&xit) properly, so I may have introduced collisions there...

Hey Satoshi, if I translate to tlhIngan Hol (Klingon), will you add it to the SVN? Tongue

lol!

Thanks DataWraith!  The German translation is uploaded to SVN.

This is great, we've already got 3 major languages.

I got the simplified and traditional Chinese translations of bitcoin.org front page from my friend Michael Chen. Thanks Michael!

The simplified page still says "page not found" for some reason, I'm trying to make it work.

For the record: the Dutch translation is by giik.

Sirius, Can you update the German translation of the frontpage to the last version I posted? It contains the fixes proposed by SmokeTooMuch, foremost for the screwup with the – HTML entity. I'll attach it to this post again, for your convenience.

Sirius, Can you update the German translation of the frontpage to the last version I posted? It contains the fixes proposed by SmokeTooMuch, foremost for the screwup with the – HTML entity. I'll attach it to this post again, for your convenience.

Done. You don't need those extra line breaks in the cms.

Thanks to Jonatan Lehtonen for the Swedish front page translation.

Anyone willing to help us with a Spanish, Russian or French translation here? Smiley

Re: Website and software translations

I have a friend who might be willing to translate it into Romanian, already dropped him a message.

I'm working on the french translation Smiley

I recommend to remove the download links at the bottom of the main page.
As you can see the links on the English page points to the new 0.3 release, but the other languages only contain links for the old 0.2 version.
There's a download box with the current releases on the right anyway, so why not remove the links from the translated pages.

I'm working on spanish translation for the faq and the main web Wink

Also the soft, i just downloaded the po file

Here is the spanish po file. When I can see it into the program, I'll check the translation errors and I'll try to fix it Wink

Tomorrow I'll start to traslate the main web and the last will be the faq  Wink

PD: Can anyone post the last versión of the main web and the faq in txt file? The txt's that I've downloaded are older. Thanks!

Edit: I'll check and update the spanish po file  Wink

PD: Can anyone post the last versión of the main web and the faq in txt file? The txt's that I've downloaded are older. Thanks!

I updated the .txt files in my post on the first page.

Ok here is the .po file for French. While I'm at it, I noted a couple of issues:

1. The "About" box didn't take the translation into account, it still displays the english version to me, even though the rest of the software is using the translated strings, and the .po file contains the translation string of the "About" box message. Same problem with the "Apply" button in the Settings window.
2. If an transaction's description in the list of transaction in the main window contains a diacritical character (such as "éàèç"), it's not displayed. I suppose the string is not being properly handled as UTF8 somewhere.
3. Some translated strings don't fit in the dialog box anymore (French is a bit more verbose than English). Some cases can be solved by inserting a " ", but that's not always possible (window titles for example).
4. About the .po file :
   - There are a few strings in the .po file that don't needs translation (ie: "Bitcoin"). Maybe those shouldn't be inside _("...") ?
   - Others shouldn't be split. I can remember one message about transaction fee where the string is split in two to insert the fee value, where you could simply have put a %s. It makes the message harder to translate as I had to go in the source to find exactly what was going on.
   - Some strings have whitespace at the end or start, which necessity is very debatable, and it's easy to miss in PoEdit.
   - Many strings have all their words capitalized, which just looks strange in French. I checked, none of my other software do it, so I've used normal capitalization everywhere.
   - There are a couple message strings that are almost identical, maybe using the same string for each of those messages would be better ? Example : "This is an oversized transaction that requires a transaction fee of %s" and "Error: This is an oversized transaction that requires a transaction fee of %s  ". It's the exact same text except for "Error:" at the beginning and an extra space at the end (which is probably useless ?).

Finally, The provided .po file is not up-to-date, as one of the settings string has changed, and is not getting translated (the one about starting Bitcoin at login).

Otherwise Bitcoin seems like a great concept, good work !

I updated the .txt files in my post on the first page.

Thanks! Wink

2. If an transaction's description in the list of transaction in the main window contains a diacritical character (such as "éàèç"), it's not displayed. I suppose the string is not being properly handled as UTF8 somewhere.

I noticed it right now. I must review the spanish po-file  Embarrassed

Here, the po file updated and the front page translated into Spanish Wink

This afternoon I'll start to translate the faq

Ok here is the .po file for French. While I'm at it, I noted a couple of issues:

1. The "About" box didn't take the translation into account, it still displays the english version to me, even though the rest of the software is using the translated strings, and the .po file contains the translation string of the "About" box message. Same problem with the "Apply" button in the Settings window.
I need to give an updated .po file.

OK, this must be a problem somewhere, I'll have to take a look at it or one of the other devs can.

4. About the .po file :
   - There are a few strings in the .po file that don't needs translation (ie: "Bitcoin"). Maybe those shouldn't be inside _("...") ?
   - Others shouldn't be split. I can remember one message about transaction fee where the string is split in two to insert the fee value, where you could simply have put a %s. It makes the message harder to translate as I had to go in the source to find exactly what was going on.
   - Some strings have whitespace at the end or start, which necessity is very debatable, and it's easy to miss in PoEdit.
Many of the strings are in code automatically generated from uiproject.fbp where nothing can be done about these things.  I have a program I use to find all the spacing inconsistencies at the beginning and ending of strings in your .po file and manually fix them up before I upload them to SVN.

I uploaded an updated bitcoin.po for 0.3.1 attached to this message:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=151.msg1259#msg1259

please use it if you're starting a new translation.

If you already have a po file, poedit can update it. 
- Get the src directory from the 0.3.1 release candidate posted in the development forum, any version will do:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=383.0
- Make a subdirectory under src: locale/??/LC_MESSAGES
(?? could be anything really, "en" or your language 2-letter code)
- Put your .po file there
- Open it with poedit
- In poedit, Catalog->Update from sources

The key is that the src directory with the sourcefiles needs to be 3 directories up from the .po file.

I recommend to remove the download links at the bottom of the main page.
As you can see the links on the English page points to the new 0.3 release, but the other languages only contain links for the old 0.2 version.
There's a download box with the current releases on the right anyway, so why not remove the links from the translated pages.
I updated them to 0.3.0.

I am tempted to remove the download links from the other languages and only keep it on English.

They will need to be updated for 0.3.1 soon.  Perhaps there's a way for someone to manage the updating of the translated drupal pages.

Thanks for the Spanish and French translations!  The edited and updated .po files are attached.

I uploaded these to the SVN.

Working on Russian translation, will be available in a day or two.

BTW, there is a bug with translating this string:

#: ../../../ui.cpp:634
msgid "From: unknown, Received with: "

Russian translation doesn't show in the main window, only colons and comma appear. So it looks like: « : , : 18RRVv...» (cut the address) Looks like unicode problem, although there is correctly translated string in the first column (confirmations ⇒ подтверждений). Despite this the translation is almost complete but I have to be sure that everything looks like it should.

BTW, translated the wiki page "getting started" to Russian. There should be a DokuWiki add-on or setting which displays the 'translations of this page' combobox like the home page of dokuwiki.org. For now, it's just a link in the getting started page.

Looks like the translation is nice, except the already mentioned bug. File attached.

Fix: I reuploaded the file with some corrects. I don't really get what does "Net amount:" mean so translated it literally.

Spanish FAQ translated.

Later, I'll check if there are errors Wink

Spanish frontpage and FAQ cleaned for errors and updated.

Please, update from this two files. Thanks!

Updated. Thanks.

Updated. Thanks.

Smiley

Thanks to Tao Wan for the Chinese FAQ. We'd appreciate if somebody could check the translation or fill in the missing questions.

Hmm.. Here are some "beta" versions of Russian translations for the site itself. (They are complete, but not perfect)

Hmm.. Here are some "beta" versions of Russian translations for the site itself. (They are complete, but not perfect)

Thanks. You can send updates when they're ready.

It looks like a Russian branch of the wiki now exists. I imagine it would be a good idea to have the Russian Documentation link on the front page link to it.

Translation of bitcoin-0.3.2 into Russian

Despite this the translation is almost complete

Damn! I also made this work. I so wanted to be helpful!

(But I insist that an "unknown" != "anonymous")

Do you have the same problem with russian text in the main window?

Do you have the same problem with russian text in the main window?

I don't tried to build the program.
If you tell me what command builds this project under linux I can do it.

I propose to make national sections of the forum. As a minimum, the Russian section is ripe.
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=593.msg6125

Russian board created. Let me know if there's demand for a board in some other major language.

Please, update the links for 0.3.6 version in the spanish translation!

I'm translating the po file to Brazilian Portuguese.

My first draft is attached, but it surely has issues (masculine/feminine, plural/singular, the placing of the & etc). Is there a way I could test the program with this translation in order to correct stuff?

Anyone interested in making a French translation? Twitter shows there might be interest towards the project from that direction. Cool

smf supports too much languages. If only u install them Smiley
Or maybe i did'nt found where can i change it in profile settings?

Updated russian translation. Now works fine without issues. Hope it will be included in the next version.

Anyone interested in making a French translation? Twitter shows there might be interest towards the project from that direction. Cool

I see on this thread that some people made a french translation.  Still, I don't see it on the main page.

I made one myself, in html format.  It's just a basic translation of the main page.

A little update on translation. Haven't understood "matures in %d blocks" phrase right but generated a block today and fixed this.

http://ompldr.org/vNW56aw/index.html ← The main page in Esperanto. (I will eventually also translate the wiki and the FAQ).

Please do this quickly as I suspect I may be able to get some small online Esperanto shops interested in the project, and maybe even a moderately large shop.

http://ompldr.org/vNW56aw/index.html  The main page in Esperanto. (I will eventually also translate the wiki and the FAQ).

Please do this quickly as I suspect I may be able to get some small online Esperanto shops interested in the project, and maybe even a moderately large shop.

Saluton, kaja !

Ni babilis en freenode #esperanto, cxu ne ?

http://ompldr.org/vNW56aw/index.html  The main page in Esperanto. (I will eventually also translate the wiki and the FAQ).

Saluton, kaja !

Your traduction doesn't seems very good.  For instance, we can't use 'kriptmonunuo' since the word 'kripto' doesn't mean 'to cypher' at all.  The correct esperantist world is 'Cxifri', I think.

:O Grondilu, you are correct. I didn't know that kripto meant that. I thought it was a synonym for ĉifro!

Anyway, that's fixed now. Are there any other errors? http://ompldr.org/vNW83OQ/index.html

By the way, the English word for 'traduction' is 'translation'.

:O Grondilu, you are correct. I didn't know that kripto meant that. I thought it was a synonym for ifro!

Anyway, that's fixed now. Are there any other errors? http://ompldr.org/vNW83OQ/index.html

By the way, the English word for 'traduction' is 'translation'.

Cxifromono seems much better, I think.   I'm not a very experienced esperantist, so I'm not much confident about my skills to judge your translation.  I suggest you post your work on soc.culture.esperanto or something.

Thanks for the French and Esperanto translations!

I see on this thread that some people made a french translation.  Still, I don't see it on the main page.

I don't see a previous French translation of the main page.

Thanks for the French and Esperanto translations!

I see on this thread that some people made a french translation.  Still, I don't see it on the main page.

I don't see a previous French translation of the main page.

It is now.

However, I made a few mistake.

Here is a slighlty modified version.

Also, the esperanto version is incorrect.  Please use this one instead.

How can I find the English .po file so that I may translate the software to Esperanto?

Edit any po-file, they all contain English strings. Esperanto? WOW! LOL! Cheesy

Esperanto? WOW! LOL! Cheesy

Pretty cool, hum ?  :-)

But I'll feel much better when someone edit the current page and change the horrible word 'Kriptomonunuo' to 'Cxifromono'.

Yeah, it would be very funny. Cheesy

I also have a claim to the translation but to the Bitcoin's Russian localization.
We have historically two variants of the word 'transaction'. One word is used
in banks and business when it comes to money transfer, and another word is
used in computer science: words 'трансакция' and 'транзакция' accordingly.

I updated the translation and replaced «транзакция» with more neutral and casual word «перевод». Also made some corrections on other phrases.

Hi guys,

I only heard about the bitcoin project a few days ago from my friend and really liked the idea. Since then my PC has been trying to generate some bitcoins. Smiley

I am going to translate the page to Polish. I assume all I do is just view the HTML source of the original page and replace English with Polish?

Thanks and regards.

In addition to the kriptomonunuo problem, there's another problem that the righthand side menu for all languages is English no matter which language is selected!

In addition to the kriptomonunuo problem, there's another problem that the righthand side menu for all languages is English no matter which language is selected!

Maybe you should pm sirius-m directly.

But please first make sure that the translation is correct now, because I guess he won't be happy if we disturb him twice for a translation, especially with this language !

Thanks eurekafag, Russian translation added to SVN rev 160.

Glad to hear that. Where can I find the latest English .po file to keep the translation up-to-date?

It does not exist.

Seriously : could anyone replace "Kriptomonunuo" by "Cxifromono" in the esperanto page ?   "Kriptomonunuo" is very ugly for it means "the money unit from the crypt".   In esperanto, "kripto" is the underground cell where we burry dead people.

Please !

I am going to translate the page to Polish. I assume all I do is just view the HTML source of the original page and replace English with Polish?

Yes, but only the content part and no downloads.

Seriously : could anyone replace "Kriptomonunuo" by "Cxifromono" in the esperanto page ?

Done Tongue

Where can I find the latest English .po file to keep the translation up-to-date?
poedit does it.  Either get the src directory from a release, or download it with SVN.  Place your .po file 3 directories deep under the src directory.  Open it with poedit and do Catalog->Update from sources.

So for example, you have:
src
src\base58.h
src\bignum.h
src\util.cpp
src\util.h
src\xpm
src\locale u\LC_MESSAGES\bitcoin.po

Open bitcoin.po with poedit, do Catalog->Update from sources.  It looks for the sourcecode up 3 directories (..\..\..) from where bitcoin.po is.

This updates your existing .po file you already worked on and adds any news strings.  It may try to match close strings, so check things over and make sure it didn't make any bad guesses.

Make sure you use the .po file I uploaded to SVN or in a release, because I always fix up at least a few things.  I'm attaching your Russian one to this message.

Shame on me, I haven't know about this useful tool before. Thanks for the clear explanation I've updated the translation according to rev160. How often should I review and update the translation? That's not a problem to do this for every revision but I don't want to spam this topic with translations every 2-3 days. Maybe it's good to make an announce that new release is coming in a few days so translators could update their files in time?

poedit reorganised the file for some reason.  I re-ran update from sources and it put it back in the original order so it's fine now.  Did you run it on a drive where files aren't sorted alphabetically, like a FAT drive or USB flash drive?

Strings aren't added or changed very often.  It's months before enough changes build up.

I uploaded the changes.

This Windows build has the Russian translation in it:
http://www.bitcoin.org/download/bitcoin-0.3.13.2-win32-setup.exe

Strange enough. I ran it on my usual XFS and new untranslated strings appeared on top. Is the order so important? I guess it's not for the program and for translators because when one use poedit he can always check what the particular string belongs to. By the way, there are some similar lines that possibly may be replaced by one. They are very close by meaning and differs only by 1-2 words. Just a suggestion of course.

The order matters not to the program, but it matters to me maintaining it.  If it jumbles the order of the .po file then I can't diff for changes.  I have to update all 7 translation files when I change the English text in the program, and it's easier when they're all in the same order.

I can still put it back into normal order by making poedit rescan it.

It is normal that untranslated strings are shown on top.

By the way, there are some similar lines that possibly may be replaced by one. They are very close by meaning and differs only by 1-2 words. Just a suggestion of course.
I know, but not easily without complicating the sourcecode.