BitcoinTalk

Bitcoin mobile.

Anonymous#1

Bitcoin mobile.

Will it be possible to get bitcoin working on a mobile phone?As the computing power of mobiles increases at what point will it be practicable?It would be nice to carry a portable version of my bitcoin wallet around with me.Is there an app for that? Cheesy

Re: Bitcoin mobile.

I'm working on something like that, for iPhone, but not really for generating, more for spending.. the problem is it's really hard to type in a bitcoin address on that little thing.

I'm working on something like that, for iPhone, but not really for generating, more for spending.. the problem is it's really hard to type in a bitcoin address on that little thing.

QR codes have been proposed as a solution here.
Anonymous#4

QR codes have been proposed as a solution here.

nice!

You can of course use services like vekja.net or mybitcoin.com on a mobile browser, depositing money there to the extent you trust them. But maybe a mobile wallet would be better in a sense.

Another option is an mobile-optimized, https-secured web interface on your local computer. That's already possible with something like LigHTTPd and PHP or Python and JSON-RPC. Not quite as good as running Bitcoin on your phone, but better than vekja.net for trustworthiness.
Anonymous#7

Could you build an iphone app that uses bitcoin?

Sure, but Apple would likely not accept it.

What do you imagine the iPhone app doing?  Just looking for some ideas on how it should look and what it should do..
Anonymous#10

What do you imagine the iPhone app doing?  Just looking for some ideas on how it should look and what it should do..

It could be useful for many things because your phone is usually carried everywhere unlike a desktop/laptop.
I imagine it would be able to carry your wallet db
Phone banking of some description.
A list of bitcoin sites you could browse.
A push notification for bitcoins received/sent.
Exchange on the go.

If you had an untraceable el cheapo burner phone you might need to purchase
prepaid phone cards using bitcoin- for the paranoid lol

I guess the list would grow as the marketplace expanded and more merchants came on board.

I think this idea deserves more recognition.

A phone is much more accessible and widely available than a computer. There are many, many people for whom they only got a phone.

Even some kind of SMS / gateway / key exchange would be something... being able to send a payment by sms to a gateway server with an unsupported phone to a supported phone, for example, or to a trusted third party who can handle the transaction for us.
By rolling passcode perhaps.

That would fantastic, and possibly not too much of a major overhaul needed?

Inspired?

You can of course use services like vekja.net or mybitcoin.com on a mobile browser, depositing money there to the extent you trust them.
I think that's the best option right now.  Like cash, you don't keep your entire net worth in your pocket, just walking around money for incidental expenses.

They could make a smaller version of the site optimized for mobile.  If there was an app, it could be a front end to one of those, with the main feature being QR-code reader, or maybe there's already a universal QR-code reading app that web sites can be designed to accept scans from.

If there was an iPhone app that was just a front end for vekja or mybitcoin, not a big involved P2P, would apple approve it and if not, on what basis?  It could always be an Android app instead.  An app is not really necessary though, just a mobile sized website.

A web interface to your own Bitcoin server at home wouldn't be a solution for everyone.  Most users don't have a static IP, and it's too much trouble to set up port forwarding.