BitcoinTalk

Bitcoin 0.3.2 released

Bitcoin 0.3.2 released

Download links available now on bitcoin.org.  Everyone should upgrade to this version.

- Added a simple security safeguard that locks-in the block chain up to this point.
- Reduced addr messages to save bandwidth now that there are plenty of nodes to connect to.
- Spanish translation by milkiway.
- French translation by aidos.

The security safeguard makes it so even if someone does have more than 50% of the network's CPU power, they can't try to go back and redo the block chain before yesterday.  (if you have this update)

I'll probably put a checkpoint in each version from now on.  Once the software has settled what the widely accepted block chain is, there's no point in leaving open the unwanted non-zero possibility of revision months later.

Re: Bitcoin 0.3.2 released

Satoshi,

The "block lock" is an interesting idea, and I'll have to think more about it.  However, it's important that you don't lock all the way up the very latest block.  Otherwise, the attacker could generate a fake block (or a few) right before you happen to lock it, and then his attack would be far easier than it would have been without the block lock.

Instead, you should only lock in everything except the last thousand or so blocks (the exact number should be a subject of future inquiry).  Maybe this is actually what you did?

Also, I'm assuming that the block lock means that the blocks will also come prepackaged with the client.  Is this so?

However, it's important that you don't lock all the way up the very latest block.  Otherwise, the attacker could generate a fake block (or a few) right before you happen to lock it, and then his attack would be far easier than it would have been without the block lock.
I went about 200 blocks back.  The block chain was a clean straight line without branches, and there was only one known version of the locked block.

Also, I'm assuming that the block lock means that the blocks will also come prepackaged with the client.  Is this so?
Sorry, not yet, but I do want to make the initial block download faster.

...Everyone should upgrade to this version...
I use 0.3.0 beta for Windows.

• Do I need to deinstall it before 0.3.2 installation?
  • What about my bitcoins I already generated? Do I need to backup them and restore after installation?

Do I need to deinstall it before 0.3.2 installation?
No, you don't.
What about my bitcoins I already generated? Do I need to backup them and restore after installation?
No, you don't, but it's always good to make a backup.

- Spanish translation by milkiway.

It looks great Cheesy

FYI, 0.3.2 on Linux (Ubunu 10.04) the task bar icon no longer appears. It seems to run fine though.

Traktion, you could try running the client with -minimizetotray that seemed to work for me (10.04 as well).  It will start minimized there so you need to click on it to get the main window but it seems to work after that.

-Buck

I went about 200 blocks back.  The block chain was a clean straight line without branches, and there was only one known version of the locked block.
Cool! How exactly are you analyzing the topography of the chain?

Traktion, you could try running the client with -minimizetotray that seemed to work for me (10.04 as well).  It will start minimized there so you need to click on it to get the main window but it seems to work after that.

-Buck

Ah, that sorted it! Thanks! I guess the default has changed between the versions.

Anyone know where the changelist is, I'm curious to what was fixed/changed/etc.

The change list is basically encompassed by what's listed in the first message.  Everyone should upgrade to get the important security improvements.

Minimizing to tray had at least 3 different glitches and bugs on Linux, including a crash one, so I disabled it again.  You can still re-enable the option with "-minimizetotray" if you want to use it anyway.  The bugs/glitches are somewhere in wxWidgets or GTK or Gnome and I don't know how to fix them.  Sorry, I just don't know what else to do, it's just too glitchy and buggy to have as a mainline feature.